Why Water Sits on Top of the Ground Here Instead of Soaking In
The first time I noticed it properly, I had been standing in the same spot for about ten minutes wondering what was wrong with me.
It had rained the day before. Not much, maybe half an hour of it, the kind of afternoon storm that shows up in August and leaves before you have finished bringing things in off the porch. And the next morning there was still a puddle in the corner of the yard. An actual puddle, in a place that gets somewhere between seven and eight inches of rain in an entire year.
I remember thinking the drainage must be broken somehow, which tells you how little I knew. There was nothing to break. Nobody had installed anything. The yard was just dirt and some struggling grass, and the water was sitting on it like it had been poured into a dish.
What was actually under there
I found out a few weeks later when I tried to plant a tree.
I got maybe fourteen inches down with a shovel and hit something that stopped the blade cold. My first thought was a rock. So I moved over a foot and tried again, and hit it again. Moved over another two feet, hit it again. It was not a rock. It was a layer, and it ran under the whole area.
That is caliche. It is calcium carbonate that has built up and cemented the soil particles together over a very long time, and it is common through a lot of the Southwest. Around here you find it at all sorts of depths. Sometimes it is a few inches down. Sometimes it is three feet down. Sometimes you dig a hole in one corner of a property and hit it, then dig another hole thirty feet away and do not.
The important part, the part that finally explained my puddle, is that water does not go through it.
Rain that arrives all at once
There are two things happening here and I had only been thinking about one of them.
The first is the caliche. Water comes down, moves through the topsoil, reaches that hard layer, and stops. It has nowhere else to go, so it backs up and sits. That is why a yard in one of the driest places in the country can stay soggy for three days.
The second thing is how the rain gets here in the first place. Our annual total is small, but it does not arrive as gentle drizzle spread across the year. A large share of it comes in monsoon season, and monsoon rain comes down hard and fast. In June of 2025 the airport recorded just over two inches across two days, and that alone made it the wettest June on the record books, only about a week into the month. Parts of the county flooded. There were sandbags at fire stations.
Two inches is nothing in a place like Ohio. Here it was a news story, because the ground has no way to absorb rain at that speed even where the caliche is deep.
Put those two things together and you get the thing that confused me for a whole season. Water arriving faster than the ground can take it, landing on a layer that will not take it at all.
The mistake I made next
Naturally I decided to fix it, and naturally I fixed the wrong thing.
I spread gravel over the wet corner. About two inches of it, a whole afternoon of hauling and raking, and it looked much better by evening. I was quite pleased.
It was fine for about five weeks. Then it rained properly and the water came back, just underneath the gravel now instead of on top of the dirt. And some of the gravel had travelled about eight feet downhill, which I also had not expected.
What I had done was change what the wet spot looked like. The water was still arriving in the same volume, still stopping at the same depth, and still with nowhere to go. I had put a lid on it.
The actual answer had nothing to do with covering the surface. It had to do with the shape of the ground, which I did not understand at all at that point, and where the water was supposed to end up, which I had genuinely never thought about once.
What I would tell myself
If you are looking at standing water in your yard and wondering what is wrong with your soil, possibly nothing is wrong with it. It might be doing exactly what caliche does.
Go dig a test hole somewhere in the problem area. Not a big one. Just get down a foot or two and see if you hit that hard pale layer. Then dig another one somewhere else on the property, because the answer genuinely can be different twenty feet away.
The second thing worth doing, and this one I resisted for ages because it feels silly, is going outside while it is actually raining and watching where the water goes. You learn more in four minutes of that than in a month of looking at a dry yard and guessing. You can see the path it takes, where it speeds up, where it stalls, and where it ends up. All of that is invisible once the ground dries.
I have gotten a lot of things wrong in this yard. This one took me the longest to understand, mostly because I kept assuming the problem was something that had gone wrong, rather than the ordinary behaviour of the ground I happened to be standing on.
NMSU's Cooperative Extension has publications on soils in New Mexico that are worth reading if you want the actual science rather than my version of it. The City of Farmington also publishes water conservation material that gets into local conditions.
Labels: soil, drainage, caliche, monsoon, watering
Search description: Why yards in the Four Corners hold standing water after rain, what caliche is, and why spreading gravel over a wet spot does not fix it.
- click here
- learn more
- read more
- this website
- visit this site
- check it out
- more info here
- this page
- source link
- find out more
- browse here
- see details
- this link
- view more
- get more info
- click here
- learn more
- read more
- this website
- visit this site
- check it out
- more info here
- this page
- source link
- find out more
- browse here
- see details
- this link
- view more
- get more info
- click here
- learn more
- read more
- this website
- visit this site
- check it out
- landscapingfarmingtonnm
- landscapingfarmingtonnm
- landscapingfarmingtonnm
- landscapingfarmingtonnm
- landscapingfarmingtonnm
- landscapingfarmingtonnm
- landscapingfarmingtonnm
- landscapingfarmingtonnm
- landscapingfarmingtonnm
- landscapingfarmingtonnm
- landscapingfarmingtonnm
- landscapingfarmingtonnm
- landscapingfarmingtonnm
- landscapingfarmingtonnm
- landscapingfarmingtonnm
- landscapingfarmingtonnm
- landscapingfarmingtonnm
- landscapingfarmingtonnm
- landscapingfarmingtonnm
- landscapingfarmingtonnm